The Stroganoff Homestead in Nizhni Novgorod
Nizhni Novgorod is a major mercantile center of Russia and was the home of a famous fair which attracted merchants and buyers from all over Russia and even the rest of Europe. The fair was an annual event that continued until the 1917 revolution.
In the city center is preserved the Stroganoff homestead which consists of a late 17th century, two-story Church of Nativity of the Virgin, which contains a lovely interior (in the Soviet period the church was closed and operated as a museum, now it has been returned to the church and is open for services) and buildings belonging to the Stroganoff's salt office, which were erected in 1828-31 at Suetinskaya ulitsa, 2. Restoration is currently underway in the church.
At right: the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin
Near the main railway station of city is the site of the village of Gordeevka with remains of the Stroganoff estate. Here is preserved the small Stroganoff home church of the Virgin of Smolensk which dates from 1693-97. It is currently closed to visitors.
At right: a restoration team working on the splendid gilted ikonstasis, painted in the Stroganoff style.